Monday, February 4, 2008

My Most Embarassing Moment

When I had just turned 17 I was volunteering to sell raffle ticket-like keys to a prize lock box for my high school’s fundraiser auction and I was on a roll. I was reeling in the old alumni and parents and teachers, and I decided to try my hand at my classmate’s father with a little chit-chatting. It was working just fine until I decided to be touchy and interrupt his conversation by picking off a white thread from his tuxedo. Unfortunately the thread wouldn’t budge, but I was certain that it was loose, so rather than give up I proceeded to tug at it, explaining, “I’m just trying to get this thread off of you.” After a few seconds of forever, the man finally realized what was happening and had to inform me of the real situation by replying, “Oh, that’s not a thread – that’s a chest hair.” I stared at him like a deer in headlights for, again, what felt like forever and began to stammer an apology, but he said it was no big deal and that everyone always gives him a hard time. Amazingly, he still bought a key from me! How about that, huh?

No comments: