Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Funniest Part About Being a Mom

The title of this blog was the challenge for my Writer's Group that I decided to take on. It was either this or Something I Had to Overcome, and about the only thing that I've ever had to overcome is being gawky so I figured I write more about what I know. So the funniest part about being a mom is what I'll write about. Indeed, I will write about the funniest part about being a mom. Okay enough dilly-dallying. Here are my favorite parts about being a mom, and maybe something funny will pop up there.
Justin called me this morning and told me how Kirby had reached up onto the table to steal a cookie while Justin was loading the car, so when he came back Kirby was sitting on the step to the dining room, kicking his legs and smacking on the cookie. That made me laugh a lot, but I had nothing to do with that except for that I was the one who made the cookies.
Now lately Kirby has been cracking me up because he has intonation and syllables down pat, but he still doesn't know words, so he has little conversations with himself or talks to us in this hilarious Gibberish language. That's funny, but again as a mom I've done nothing.
I've gone to work with baby kisses (mashed-on, day-old food) smeared on my jackets and pant legs quite a few times recently. Everyone else thinks that's funny.
Sheesh. I am terrible about this. I promised that given a prompt, I would be able to write easily. I've always adored the author Roald Dahl, but lately O. Henry is moving in as my favorite. His short stories are just brilliant, and I think I'd love to be that clever. Listen to this line "That boy put up a fight like a welter-weight cinnamon bear" - is that genius, or what? What imagery! What superb weaving of words! Remember in stupid Donnie Darko when Drew Barrymore blabbed about how "cellar door" was the most beautiful phrase in the English language? Well apparently she'd never heard the phrase "welter-weight cinnamon bear," although the climax of the movie may not have been as exciting if she had. Anway, it's not too funny being a mom, but babies are funny at least. Maybe I'll try for How I Overcame My Gawkiness after all.

1 comment:

Jewel said...

Most of my funny moments have to do with severe humiliation on my part. If you haven't had anything embarrassing happen yet I guarantee that when Kirby starts talking in understandable English you will have some more stories:) I think becoming a mom does more to the emotions than people think. When Shariah was born I anticipated the crying over sappy commercials and deeper appreciation of my own mom but I didn't realize that I would laugh a lot more. Things that would have mortified me as a teenager seemed pretty hilarious. What is also funny to me now are things that would make a more sane person probably throw up. But I just laugh.