Monday, February 4, 2008

Baby Naming Trends

I am very interested in the baby-naming trends right now. There are a lot of parents out there who don't seem to care about learning how to spell names, getting teased by bullies, being mispronounced at roll-call, etc. when it comes to their kids. I don't mind names that I just don't like - that's just preference. What I can't stand, though, is the drive to be K'hreajtiv in spelling and originality. My son Kirby Oren has two very unusual names, but they are both real names, spelled in the normal way, that everyone has heard before. (Justin wanted to name him Curb-ee Orynne, but I protested.) Honestly though, we are seriously considering naming our next kid Frank Ajax so maybe I should drop the bully comment, but at least everyone can spell Frank, right? Here is my compilation (with some commentary) of the comment board for some baby website's Top Baby Name Trends of 2006. I was shocked at some of them!

I've always loved the name Q'wen ( Q and win ) but hubby hates it. What do you guys think? (I think it looks & sounds like a 1980s video game.)

My favorite is the name Promise with an i or Promyse with a y. (Thys is the saddest trend - replacyng an I with a Y. It doesn't look fancyer, just wrong.)

ZAYLEN ME AND MY SISTER THOUGHT OF IT (I THINK!) I JUST NAMED MY SON THAT. ITS CATCHY ZAYLEN ELIJAH AGUIAR. :)NICE. (This one isn't so hard to pronounce or spell, it just seems like this woman really wanted a Z name and couldn't accept one of the 100 or so that already exist.)

Reagan and Kennedy are very cute names for girls. (Not so cute: Van Buren, Fillmore, Eisenhower)

my favorite name for a boy is Casssius. i think i have my boyfriend talked into it as a middle name atleast. what do people think of Oliver Casssius for a boy? His nickname would be Cash. (In case you missed it and thought Cassius was a nice name, look again and notice the third S in the middle: Casssius.)

I had a beautiful girl in September, and we named her "Grae" (Either they left out the C, or they blew the Grey vs. Gray fight out of the water.)

hey, my daughter's name is mariangely shaianne--nobody has that yet!! (And let's pray they never will again.)

I can totally relate to the change in spelling for names- our little girl's name in Calah- "kayla" My husband was the one who came up with this spelling and we love it (It's okay to come up with a spelling, but it has to be for the same word. He came up with an alternate spelling for the name Cullough, not Kayla.)

My choices for my baby's name are boy: Preston Chandler or Girl: Carrera Elaine let me know what you think?? (I think the country club called and it wants its '80s action figures back.)

My husband hates that he has to share the name Chris with most of the population. That’s why we have Bianca and Rebel. (This is such a nice post until the last word: Rebel. Even if she grows up to be the sweetest girl in the whole world, her name is still Rebel. Let's hope she hates the name so much that she names her kid Chris.)

Has anybody ever heard the name "Brekkin" for a girl? (No, but her sequel Electric Boogaloo is fantastic.)

My nephew is Horace (Ace for short) When i tell people, they make a face, as did I when my sister picked it, but now I like it. (I have a feeling he's going to go by Ace for all the rest of his life.)

If I could still have children, I would name my little girl, "Cambrie"...I think that is the prettiest name...I also like the name, "Timber" for a girl...What do you all think? (I just hope she doesn't adopt.)

delvina .saranda. valon .alkisa eralda.rudina. blendy . this are realy very new modern and out going name (I'm going to guess this person put a whole bunch of letters into a food processor, set it to Blendy, and poured it out slowly to come up with these names.)

I have a niece named velocity and her little sister is Serenity. I think they are beautiful names even though velocity is very unusual and it took me a while to get used to it (The name Speed wasn't good enough since it can only go one direction. No, no, little Velocity required something much more befitting of her capabilities.)

My daughter is almost 5 months old i like unusually spelled names... her name is Arieanna T'Nasiah Jade (Ah, the glorious apostrophe - if you couldn't stand to have one more letter in your baby's name, then syncope is for you, my friend.)

My husband and I spent a long time deciding our daughter's name. We finally decided on Tegan Ebony. Tegan is of Welsh origin and means beautiful and fair. We like it. (I just like the contrast between the two name meanings - I hope that if one parent was white and the other black, the irony wasn't lost on them.)

Queyundre is a nice name for a boy (It's actually not even a nice name for a tapeworm.)

Also now that im thinking of it im trying to get pregnant again how does the name Alazaye Unique sound, for a girl, i think that it is very original. My sons name is Aaydyn and if we have a boy im thinking about Landyn im having trouble with a boys name but I love putting y's in my names but i dont want them to all sound alike. (Well, I have to agree on the originality point.)

Phylliope Darlottah Dehserraey The first name rhymes with "Calliope". I just LOVE IT! It's so unique, I've never heard anyone with this name before. My grandmother's name was Phyllis, so I gave it a modern twist. I want two middle names - Darlotta because my boyfriend calls me "Darling" and it goes with my MN Carlotta, and Dehserraey because it is Desire that made this precious baby girl!!! (Maybe desire made the baby, but a My Little Pony-sounding name will make her cry.)

A girl at my church has a boy named Cky Christopher (pronounced Sky) (Yeah, it's actually not pronounced Sky - C and S aren't always interchangeable. I think it'd be something closer to Icky.)

I have a new spelling for Colin - we named our little boy Charles Caulyn - beautiful isn't it? (Maybe if you're a pretty schoolgirl in an enchanted rainbow forest of lollipop unicorns. Thank God this kid can go by Chaz someday.)

My sister stole the perfect little girls name thought. Amri....it is my mom's name backwards (Irma)... (I actually knew two kids who had this happen to them - Semaj and Imoan. It doesn't always come out sounding as nice as Amri.)

I had my son on September 19,2006. My husband wanted to name him Killian Payne. But with all our kids he wanted to spell out J. Cash. We needed the H to finish it. So now we have H. Xander Rage. Our kids are Joy Eilean, Chase Michael, Ashton Douglas Pride, And H. Xander Rage. (So many problems. 1. Where's your child with the S name? 2. Does H stand for anything or is his name really just a letter? 3. I love that there's a middle name Pride and another Rage - if they had 5 more kids they could complete the Deadly Sins instead of continuing a more ridiculous pattern of spelling a random phrase.)

My aunt named her son Dadrienne and daughter Darien (Applying the same adding-random-letters-from-the-same-name technique, my next child would be named Kikrbyyb.)

I would like to name my baby girl ELPIS, pronounced as 'el-fis'... How does that sounds? (I knew a girl who would joke around that she was going to name her son David but pronounce it Michael. This reminds me of that.)

My daughter’s name is Nevaeh, I love the names that you don’t hear that often. Me and my hubby are trying to have another baby and when it does happen if it is a girl her name will be Thrystylynn Marie (Trista for short) and Chayden Eugene if its a boy. I love those names what do you think of the names we have chosen? (I love that this woman still thinks the name Nevaeh is unique.)

I have a sister whose name is spelled M'Kenzi (She thought it over, but the other 70 ways to spell Mackenzie just weren't quite right.)

My daughter's name is keiairah Haily, i like the idea of the middle names starting with a H. (I dare you all to try to figure out how she would pronounce the first name.)

What about this spelling for a girl? Paightyn (Remember in Joe Dirt when Joe says his names is Deer-tay, and the parking lot attendant says, "Don't try to church it up, son"? That's what this seems like to me.)

Knoah (I'm knot so sure that's a good idea.)

I have a little girl that I work with whose name is Harold'aisha (pronounced Harold and Asia). She was named after her father, Harold. (For short, they call her Harold also.)

Our last name is Foley. My husband thought the title characters name was so cool from the movie, "Beverly Hills Cop". So, our son will be named Axl Foley. (I hope they don't have an Eddie Murphy obsession or their next kid might be Norbit Donkey Foley.)

In response to the article about the creative spelling of baby names my daughter Trinity's middle name is spelled Jaleyah(ja-lee-yah) by my then 12 yr old cousin. Both me and my husband wanted different middle names, my pick was Jade and his was Leah! So we asked the family to get creative and that's what we ended up with, the combination of both names! (Names that didn't make the cut included Jale, Dellee, and HaelEdaj.)

We have 2 boys Gavin (6 y/o) Seth (3y/o) Not pregnant yet,but hoping!! Names we like.. Boys Liam Eugene or Liam Kaiser Mason Lear Avery Kaiser Girls Ava Lynne (pr.. Lyn-a) Ella Rose Layla Ann Mevaeh Any suggestions? (Mevaeh: Heavem backwards, since Heaven backwards is just too popular now.)

Does anyone else have any foolish names they can share?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, you are too funny! A wholly entertaining post.